Greek Easter bread is a favorite one for many humans but they try tasting it only at the hotels and restaurants. The homemakers can easily prepare Greek Easter bread at your home by following this simple recipe. Total preparation time will be somewhat bigger but you can get the real taste of Greek Easter bread just in your kitchen.
- Active dry yeast – 1 envelope or 2 ¼ teaspoons
- All purpose flour – 5 ½ cups and more for dusting
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Milk – 1 1/3 cup
- Unsalted butter – 5 tbsp and more for greasing bowl
- Fine salt – 1 tsp
- Large eggs (lightly beaten) – 2 and one more lightly beaten egg for egg wash
- Ground fennel seed – 2 tsp
- Almond extract – ¼ tsp
- Hard cooked eggs (dyed red) – 3
- Necessary vegetable oil for rubbing
- You have to pour 1/3 cup of hot water into the bowl of the stand mixer. Now, add 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of all purpose flour, and gently beat in the yeast.
- After that cover it with the towel or wet white cloth and set aside until it get bubbly. It will take 5 to 10 minutes according to your room temperature.
- During this time, you can heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium flam until it gets bubbles around the pan edge. Then, remove from the heat and stir it in the butter, salt, and remaining sugar. Set it aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- You can use a paddle attachment to stir the milk blend into the yeast mixture. Then, stir in the two lightly beaten eggs. Now, you can gradually mix in the remaining all purpose flour, almond extract, and fennel seed. Beat all these ingredients well until the soft dough forms.
- Remove dough from your bowl and place it on the lightly floured surface. You can add more flour as needed until the dough is as smooth as possible.
- Put it in the lightly buttered bowl, cover it, and place in the warm spot for about 1 ½
- Lightly flour your work surface and place the prepared dough on it and cut into 3 equal parts. Gently roll out each dough piece. Line a cookie sheet along with the parchment paper. Transfer the dough pieces to the lined up sheets and gently press them.
- You have to rub the eggs with small amount of vegetable oil and buff with the paper towel. Now, gently press these eggs into the dough, cover and set for about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Brush your bread with the remaining beaten eggs. Now, bake it until the loaf will be dark golden brown for about 45 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 30 minutes before slicing. After bread cooled, you can slice it and serve immediately.