Couscous is a healthy food ingredient that has several health benefits and abilities to prevent cancers, bacterial infections and increase heart health. It is the traditional food of northern African people and it consists of tiny balls of semolina flour or durum wheat. It is the same dough which is used in making pastas. When buying the couscous people have to make sure they have read the list of ingredients on the label. They have to keep in mind that the first ingredient should be whole wheat couscous. One of the advantages of this healthy ingredient is it can be cooked fast and used in many ways. People who have known the cardiovascular health benefits of couscous do not forget to include this food in their meal plan. Let us see how to make a healthy Mediterranean couscous salad with chickpeas at home. This recipe is also versatile and flavorful so that people do not have to turn on other stuffs.
- Whole wheat couscous
- 2 cucumbers
- Purple grapes
- 3 green onions or scallions
- Pitted black olives
- Dried parsley or fresh Italian parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
Procedure to make the salad
- Take one and quarter cup of boiling water and add it to a cup of whole wheat couscous. Then use a utensil to stir the couscous and cover the cup with a plastic wrapper. Let the whole wheat for 10 minutes to get cooked.
- While the whole wheat is getting cooked make ready other ingredients.
- Take a large bowl and add the sliced or cubed slices of two peeled cucumbers, half a cup of sliced purple grapes and 3 chopped green onions or scallions.
- Check out if the couscous is cooked and remove the wrapper.
- Add the cooked whole wheat couscous into the large bowl. To make the salad healthy add 115 ounce of canned chickpeas into the mixture. While shopping around for chickpeas you have to make sure the chickpeas cans labeled low sodium. Rinse and drain the chickpeas to remove the salt content.
- Next add the drained and rinsed pitted black olives, 2 table spoon of dried parsley leaves, one and a half tablespoon of virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of fresh lemon extract. Mix all these ingredients well using a spoon. Make sure the whole wheat couscous is mixed with other ingredients. Serve the salad in individual bowls and top up with some fat free cheese.
People who cannot find dried parsley leaves can use a quarter cup of chopped Italian parsley leaves. This is a healthy style cooking procedure everyone can try at home. Since the ingredients included in this salad are fat free anyone can enjoy this recipe. People do not have to worry about disobeying the diet plan as this recipe is healthy. Even they can store this salad in an air tight container and use it for the next day.